‘Greek Language, Culture, and Media’ set to take place on 10-15 July 2022
The International Summer University ‘Greek Language, Culture, and Media’ is back for the eighth time, under the University of Ioannina – School of Education, Department of Early Childhood Education, and the Department’s Social Issues, Mass Media, and Education Studies Laboratory, in cooperation with:
- the Modern Greek Studies Program of the Department of Media, Communications, Creative Arts, Language and Literature, Faculty of Arts, Macquarie University, and
- the Macquarie Greek Studies Foundation, in Sydney, Australia, with the participation of
- the Circle of Hellenic Academics in Boston, and the Boston University Philhellenes in Boston
The project, which is scheduled to take place in Kastellorizo between 10 and 15 July 2022, will be hosted at the Hall for Cultural Events of the island in a COVID-safe environment.
The General for Greeks Abroad and Public Diplomacy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, as well as the Municipality of Megisti are also offering their support.
The program is addressed to undergraduate and postgraduate students, PhD candidates, educators, while a limited number of professionals with relevant interests is also accepted, in the framework of lifelong learning. It offers certificates of participation recognition and educational material to the participants. Moreover, it includes cultural activities, always following the health protocols. Nikoletta Tsitsanoudis – Mallidis, Associate Professor of Linguistics and Greek Language and Director of the Social Issues, Mass Media, and Education Studies Laboratory at the Department of Early Childhood Education, University of Ioannina and CHS – GR Associate, Harvard University, is the Scientific Director of the program.
After seven years of renowned success for the organization, the “tradition” of cultivating extroversion and synergies with prominent international institutions of education, culture, and media continues. It is reminded that, in the past, the International Summer University “Greek Language, Culture, and Media” has been also supported by the Center for Hellenic Studies in Greece, Harvard University; the Hellenic Delegation of the European Parliament; the Union of European Journalists (Greek department); the Orthodox Academy in Crete; the Club de la Presse Européenne, Paris; the Centre Culturel Hellénique in Paris; the Instituto De Letras in Rio De Janeiro University; and more.
Based on needs and data outlined by the Hellenic studies programs and academics of the aforementioned Education institutions the Summer University will focus on:
- Language, symbols and signs in outermost Greece
- Barren line and language identities
- Outermost places, language and culture
- Dialects and popular culture
- Cultural sources in isolated island regions
- Outermost Greece and the Greek diaspora
- “«Με τον καημό σου, θ’ ανοίξουμε πανιά». The sung language of Kastellorizo
- Press and outermost places. Depictions, descriptions, analyses
- Radio and TV stations in barren lines. Tribute
- Artificial intelligence serving the barren line
- Computational Linguistics, projects for residents in the outermost places
- Language and Education. Interdisciplinary approaches.
As part of the promotion of the program, the Channel of the Parliament, the National TV networks ERT, ERT 2, ERT3, ERT WORLD, alongside private broadcasters Proto Program 105.8, and the Voice of Greece, CNN GREECE, the newspaper The Greek Herald/Ελληνικός Κήρυκας in Sydney, the newspaper Neos Kosmos in Melbourne, and the radio station 2mm Radio 1665, Sydney, Darwin, Wollongong also serve as media sponsors promoting from the very beginning. The project is also supported by a series of other institutions, which will be announced soon. Meanwhile, esteemed Greek actors Aimilios Cheilakis and Athena Maximou will star in this year’s TV spot which will be broadcasted internationally.
The organisation of the International Summer University “Greek Language, Culture, and Media” for summer 2022 will be officially announced during a symposium that will take place on Saturday, January 15, at 6.00 p.m., at the Old Parliament House in Athens (13 Stadiou Avenue, 105 61, Athens, telephone: +30 21 0322 2266).
Information and submission of CVs/applications to register: Nikoletta Tsitsanoudis – Mallidis, at firstname.lastname@example.org and on the website https://summerschool.ac.uoi.gr